Saturday, January 21, 2012

Open your eyes...a common theme lately for me

Do you ever find that ideas come to you in themes? For me lately it has been songs with lyrics talking about opening your eyes.  One song is by Needtobreathe, Keep Your Eyes Open.



What it means to me is to be aware, to look around, to notice things...even small things.  The line about if you never leave home, never let go, you will never make it to the great unknown speaks to me in particular.  What if I never left to come here, what if I stayed because I was too afraid of the unknown.  There are days where I am really aware of the things around me, all the little miracles that God places in my path.  Then there are days (these tend to happen more often) where I am so distracted with the unimportant that I fail to realize what an amazing world I live in.


Looking back over the last 6 months I have been so blessed with more "me" time.  More time alone, to think and ponder.  I still fail to make quiet time with God a priority, to journal more and I need more time reading my bible.  But if I stop and look around there is always something much less important to keep me busy and distracted.  I find myself making excuses, like "Next week, life will be more normal, I will have more time, and I can get a schedule down".  I am still waiting on that day and it sounds ridiculous to even write those words.  I just need to begin my day with this time and then the rest of the day can take care of itself.


I know what I love about it here in the Dominican is that I am not bombarded with the media and tv.  I actually didn't even want a tv here.  US current events don't take up space in my brain.  I don't know what Occupy Wall Street is.  I don't know about the latest movie star and her current struggles.  I didn't even know that we had a second earthquake here in the Dominican the other day.  I sort of know how bad the real estate market still is, but I don't think too much about it in fear that I will stress myself out too much.  Actually typing this line is putting a knot in my stomach and a kink in my neck.  Our house situation has been given to God in my  "give it to God box" for Him to handle it.  My thoughts on the media it can plant seeds in my head that can distract me from more important things.  Worrying about things that are out of my control can only eat away at my joy.  I tend to obsess about things and they overtake my mind, which keeps me up, I don't sleep and it wears me down emotionally and physically.  So I choose to open my eyes to the important and dwell on these things


Philippians 4:6-8


Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.


Try opening your eyes today.  Shut off the distractions, go for a walk or a drive. Look around and notice God's little miracles going on around you.  Notice people in need.  Buy a cup of hot coffee for someone who looks cold.  Give a smile to someone who might be having a bad day.  Tell those people around you something wonderful you love about them.  Life is short....we don't know what quarter we are in.  The game of life can be over at anytime and the clock strikes zero.  What if today is that day?


Be blessed,


Jodi

1 comment:

  1. I can't post from Blogger on my phone (grr), but I'm here and I'm reading and I LOVE it. We all miss the little things, and I needed that reminder to slooooow down. It's raining here. Think I'll go listen to it for a little while! Love u!

    ReplyDelete