Sunday, November 4, 2012

Prayer


I have not been the best at praying.  I am good at praying when I need or want something or when I am at the end of myself.  I never just prayed to pray and pray without ceasing....all the time!  I still struggle daily with my quiet time with the Lord.  I mentioned a book before called Confession of a Prayer Slacker, and it had this to say about how to do quiet time with God:

1.  Read at least (AT LEAST) one chapter from the Bible per day.

2.  In a journal write out the following:

A. At least (AT LEAST) one thing you are thankful for

B.  Confession - pray this, Search me o God and know my heart, actions, thoughts, words, attitudes, things I neglected to do, times I ignored God's promptings, and times I have yanked back control in certain areas of my life.  Once you are done see what comes to mind and confess it and ask for forgiveness.

C.  Prayers for others - family, church, church family

D.  Urgent Prayers - natural disasters, etc.

E.  Prayers for America - President, leaders and military

F.  Prayers for those needing saving faith

G.  Personal Prayers - husband, children, self

Another good model to follow is

A - Adoration
C - Confession
T - Thanksgiving
S - Supplication




This has helped me tremendously as I need to have structure to what I am doing, and I am a visual person.  I started out using a piece of paper folded in half and I had a half side of one full sheet for each one of the areas above.  I wanted something that I could change out easier and thought of a spread-sheet but thought it would be too formal.  So I bought a notebook at Target (when I was back in the states) and I have a pocket in the front for my journal, pens, blank business size cards, printouts, special things etc.  Then I bought the business card storage inserts and I have them in there and I have have a page for each of the areas of prayer above, then I write a prayer on each card and slip it into the holder.  I can then remove prayers when they are answered and put those towards the back. In that front pocket I even have an index card with the instructions above.




I am finding that I still need help with prayer so I searched the web and found this video and it took my prayers to another level!!  When I think of prayer as not a petition (what I want or need) and more of a inner mystical awakening and a dialog with God then it is so much more!



Two things really spoke to me in this quick video:

Hover over me God, remind me you are there.
~ Teresa of Avila

and

Please enter where you already abide ~ Marianne Williamson from Illuminta

Here is the rest of the prayer here, I printed this out an put it in the pocket in the front of my prayer binder.

Morning Prayer

Dear God,
I give this day to You.
May my mind stay centered on the things of spirit.
May I not be tempted to stray from love.
As I begin this day, I open to receive You.
Please enter where You already abide.
May my mind and heart be pure and true, and may I not deviate from the things of goodness.
May I see the love and innocence in all mankind, behind the masks we all wear and the illusions of this worldly plane.
I surrender to You my doings this day.
I ask only that they serve You and the healing of the world.
May I bring Your love and goodness with me, to give unto others wherever I go.
Make me the person You would have me be.
Direct my footsteps, and show me what You would have me do.
Make the world a safer, more beautiful place.
Bless all Your creatures.
Heal us all, and use me, dear Lord, that I might know the joy of being used by You.
Amen.
- from Illuminata
Marianne Williamson











No comments:

Post a Comment