Friday, February 3, 2012

So how much will it take to get you off the streets?

Last night I went on my first outreach to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the prostitutes of Juan Dolio.  I went with Erica Jude who heads up Women's Ministry with Score International.  She runs a home called the Lily House where former prostitutes can make money by learning how to sew, make jewelry, or do laundry.  Their kids come with them to the Lily House and are watched upstairs while they work downstairs.  On Thursday nights the ladies (there were 6 of us last night) hit the streets hoping to get a few minutes with these ladies, give them a tract (explaining the Gospel) and a contact number, in hopes that the girls will contact them for lunch, then maybe church, and most importantly that they know the TRUTH of the Gospel and it will set them free.

I met Erica at SCORE at 8:30 and we picked up a friend of hers from the church who loves to help, and then proceeded to pick up 3 other young ladies.  We drove through Juan Dolio, parked and got out.  3 of us went one way, the rest the other way.  It appeared to be a slow night.  They saw some ladies that they knew but they don't go into the bars or approach girls that are with a client.  They see the same girls most of the time, but there have been some new girls lately.  There are also a lot of men this time of year.  Europeans flock to the DR in Jan and Feb and it is also high tourist season in general.  After checking out the area near the beach in Juan Dolio we headed over near the Barcelo Hotel and found a woman sitting right on the edge of a nightclub that wasn't filled with people yet.

Erica and the other girls knew her.  They had talked to her before.  They talk to them as many times as it takes.  Some of the girls mention the tracts they have in their purses that they were given sometimes as long as 2 years ago.  Sometimes it takes a long time.  Sometimes they never get out from under the grip of this dark profession.  But they still try....and try.....and pray and hope that they if they hit rock bottom they will remember that they have a safe place to go for help.  I think her name was Lisa.  I am not sure how old she was, but she looked maybe mid 30 to late 30's.  She had on a short dress with a zipper and it was zipped low.  She had black high heels on.  She had short black hair and some sparkly eye shadow.  She looked beautiful when she smiled.  Glossy lips revealed beautiful white teeth and sparkly eyes.  The rest of the girls left and Erica and I stayed with her.  Erica asked if I wanted to share my testimony with her and I was afraid, I didn't know what to say, I told her I need to plan out what I wanted to say.  I should have just shared straight from my heart.  I should have just told her how I wasn't too proud of my past.  I had sex too young and before marriage.  I had regrets....many....but I knew the love of Christ and He loved me anyways even in my shame about my past.  When I accepted Christ about 10 years ago I couldn't imagine that God would love me and my past.  I was actually scared I would start crying (like I am now writing this) and wouldn't get out the words.  Erica would be translating so at least it would be in English.  Not many people know my true story, my past, my regrets...but I feel God calling me to share them because I can possibly minister to these ladies.  I am just not ready.  Maybe next time.

Erica handed her a tract and she ran her fingers over it as Erica spoke.  She fidgeted in her seat.  I could see she was uncomfortable.  She shook her head, and agreed with what Erica shared with her.  She knows the Gospel she has heard it before.  But she can't stop because she has debts.  I don't know if she has children, but I assume she does.  She may even have a husband, but probably not.  Her children may even be locked in her house alone as she sits here with us.  This breaks my heart.  What if the house caught fire and the kids couldn't get out?  I know with prostitution there is a whole cycle of damage that can occur.  I couldn't stop thinking this morning "How much is your debt?"  "What amount will it take for me to get you off the streets?"  I want to know because I just want to save her.  I know I can't but my heart breaks for these women.  There is a better way!  And just throwing money at them isn't the answer.  But it keeps them locked in shackles by the devil who wants their soul and I hate that!  So I can only pray for Lisa that she will have the faith that IF she leaves the streets the God WILL provide for her and it will all work out.  Lisa cried a few times while Erica talked to her.  I prayed while Erica talked that the Holy Spirit would prick her heart, that HIS love and light would blind the evil one.  I pray now that she will see that a life outside of prostitution and walking with the Lord is much more rewarding.  That she will trust HIM and stop worrying about her debts.  Although she won't be able to buy the lotions and perfumes and pretty shoes, she will be free of the shackles and out of danger and in the loving arms of a God who makes the impossible possible!

Whenever I hear this song I think of these women, I think of myself and I know that MY God is singing it to me!


In His Grip,
Jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment