Saturday, September 8, 2012

My new friend


So in the back of my neighborhood there is a home.  It is not your typical home.  It is not a building.  It is kind of like a fort.  You can't see it good from the road.  It is made out of the bushes.  There is a little path.  The way I knew it was a home was from the smoke coming from the small cooking fire.  From the clothes that were hung off the bush.

Since we have lived here since January, I wondered who lived there.  I didn't see anyone, but it was evident that someone did live there.  So the other day I saw him working in a garden near by.  I said good morning to him and he responded back with a big smile, hello and a wave.  I walked back home and found a Jesus loves you backpack, some snacks, a couple of lifesaver candies and a Messenger (audio bible with New Testament and Charles Stanley messages) in Spanish.  I just handed him the backpack and told him I had a gift for him.  He thanked me profusely over and over and over again.  I don't think anyone pays much attention to him.  Ever.

We wave to each other and say hi each morning.  He is up early working in his garden.  In the hot, hot sun.  He chops away with his machete.  Every morning.

Today I walked up to him.

Asked his name.

He said his name Licien.

He is my new friend.

I love him.

In his grip,

Jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment