Sunday, August 16, 2015

Happy 8th Birthday my Sweet Grace!!



So at 5:31 am on August 16, 2007 my little Gracie was born.  I didn't even know she had been born or she would be my daughter until 5 days later when I met her 3 lb. 4.5 oz. little self in the NICU.  God knew.  He knew this amazing plan long before I did.  He knew my heart.  He knew I was fed up with the waiting.  Oh, I told God one day in the men's locker room bathroom with the high sinks and urinals.  I lost it in that bathroom stall that day.  I thought after 5 years that I was finally pregnant, that we would finally be parents.  Nope.  I cried out to God all alone in that bathroom.  I told Him straight up..."I am sick of waiting!  I know you God and I know you have a happy ending to all this waiting, but I am sick of waiting for it!!"  I don't know the exact time after my little pitty party but it was soon.  The phone rang.  "We have a little girl for you when can you get here?"  I remember that call to my husband at work.  I was crying, I am sure he could barely understand me.  But an hour and a half later we were at the hospital.  She was so little.  I had never seen anything so little.  She was big though compared to the pictures on the wall of all the other peanuts.  Some were 1 pound.  She was so strong.  This morning I was thinking back to those first days.  I thought really about the fact that I didn't get to see her be born.  I teared up when I thought about why she was born so early.  God protected her from her mother who made a bad choice that day.  I am thankful that bad choice didn't hurt her little body as it really could have had lasting effects.  I then went to the 5 days that she was alone before I got there.  I know those amazing NICU nurses loved her.  But the 5 days she was without me.  I hope she doesn't remember or even know.

Here is our blog during those first days

Today she is 8


And she is precious.  And she still thinks she was in my belly.  And she doesn't notice she has different skin than me.  She loves animals.  She is compassionate.  Gives the best hugs.  Knows just when I need a kiss.  She is thoughtful.  She is so smart and loves to read.  She will worry about the little baby bird who fell out of the nest until you say you will feed it every 15 minutes until it can fly (thankfully it's momma came and got it),  She will wake you up at 4am to snuggle but then be too hungry and want you to make her mac and cheese or grilled cheese with roasted red pepper soup to dip it in.  She will burp so loud and your friends will be impressed.  She will put herself to sleep.  You will find her reading her old textbooks from her past school years.  She will forgive you every time.  Especially when she requested pumpkin cream cheese muffins for her birthday cake and that is the only thing you forgot to bring to the beach.  She will walk around Toys R Us for 3 hours and walk out with 7 new stuffed animals.  She will beg you to make her tea then not drink it.  She will insist on riding her scooter when you walk the dog and you will end up walking her scooter instead of the dog.  She will make the best vet when she grows up.  She will wear the same dress to church every single Sunday, the one she would never wear and now won't wear anything else.  And you will let her because everyone should have a church uniform right?

Happy Birthday my Sweet Gracie Girl...you have made the past 8 years so much better!!  I love you to the back of the moon eight kazillion times.  No, I love you more!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment